Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cicadas are LOUD!


the lone cicada
heralds summer's end
with blaring alarm


Wow! Tonight we saw a cicada up close on a tree trunk and boy, are they ever BIG! And LOUD! I had no idea. I've heard the sound of cicadas since I was a kid, and I have always thought the woods were teeming with them. Now, I realize that a single cicada can have a VERY LOUD song. And yes, this one sounded just like a car alarm. (However, it wasn't quite as big as this lovely sculpture of a cicada in Australia. It just sounded like it.)


Photo credit: Cyron Ray Macey through a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.

2 comments:

Hatasura said...

A nice site... I like reading your blog because it give me a relaxing information... I must tell people to write your blog. I add yours in my blogroll, hope people will read it as I do...

Thanks...

jublke said...

Thanks! It's nice to see you back. :) I hope that people visit your site, too, and try out your cool environmental games.